August 22, 2022
Telepsychiatry is a growing trend in the field of mental health, and for good reason. This type of care has been proven to be as effective as in-person care, and often more convenient. According to the American Hospital Association, currently 76% of U.S. hospitals have telepsychiatry integrated into their programs to connect patients with providers. Despite these advantages, many people are uncomfortable with the idea of telepsychiatry.
The goal of this brief is to provide guidance for clinicians on how to best prepare their patients for a telepsychiatry visit. Although telepsychiatry visits can be conducted in a variety of ways, there are key elements to consider in order to ensure the best possible experience for both the patient and clinician.
Tips for making patients comfortable with telepsychiatry
There are a few things that telepsychiatrists can do to help make their patients comfortable with this type of care.
1. Explain the process: Patients should be given a clear explanation of what to expect during a telepsychiatry session. This will help to reduce any anxiety about the unknown.
2. Create a rapport: It is important to create a rapport with patients before starting a telepsychiatry session. This can be done by engaging in small talk and getting to know the patient a bit before diving into the session.
3. Make it personal: Telepsychiatry sessions should be tailored to the individual patient. This means taking into account their unique needs and concerns.
4. Be understanding: Patients may feel uncomfortable sharing personal information over the internet. It is important to be understanding and patient with them as they open up.
5. Follow up: It is important to follow up with patients after a telepsychiatry session. This can be done via phone, email, or in person (if possible). This will help to solidify the rapport that was created and make the patient feel more comfortable with the process.
The benefits of psychiatric care via telepsychiatry
Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can provide many benefits for patients.
1. It can allow patients to receive care from a psychiatrist who may be located in another city or state. This can be beneficial for patients who do not have access to a local psychiatrist.
2. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more convenient for patients. They can receive care from the comfort of their own home, and they do not have to travel to a psychiatrist’s office.
3. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more affordable than in-person care.
5. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more flexible than in-person care. This is because patients can schedule appointments around their work or school schedules.
6. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more comfortable for patients. This is because patients do not have to travel to a psychiatrist’s office.
7. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more private than in-person care.
8. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more individualized than in-person care.
9. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more accessible than in-person care.
10. Psychiatric care via telepsychiatry can be more culturally competent than in-person care.
There are a few key things to keep in mind when preparing for a telepsychiatry visit. First and foremost, it is important to be prepared. This means having all of the necessary information and materials on hand. Additionally, clinicians should create a comfortable and private space for the visit. Finally, it is important to be understanding if patients feel nervous or uncomfortable. By taking these steps, clinicians can help to ensure that their telepsychiatry visits are productive and helpful for their patients.
Questions or want to learn more about Genoa Telepsychiatry’s services? Please reach out to us here to connect!
Proven Effectiveness of Telepsychiatry
U.S. Hospitals Using Telepsychiatry Statistic
American Hospital Association: https://www.aha.org/factsheet/telehealth
Benefits of Psychiatric Care via Telepsychiatry